Capital Power Corporation is currently seeking an innovative and results-oriented individual to join our Health, Safety, and Environment team.
Accountable to the Senior Manager, HSE Project Services, the HSE Training Specialist is responsible for coordinating and providing HSE Technical Training for the business, construction and operating units as it applies to Capital Power’s Health, Safety and Environment Policy and Framework. This includes supporting the implementation of safety programs and/or procedures designed to manage tactical and program safety and environmental performance, and ensure all Capital Power sites are aware of and in compliance with all applicable health, safety and environmental legislation and regulations, internal CPC policies, approvals and reporting. The successful applicant will be required to work out of the Edmonton office and travel within Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, and the United States.
Key accountabilities include:
• Commitment and leadership to Capital Power’s “Zero Means Everything” health & safety culture.
• Subject matter experience in the areas of HSE leadership, training and competency program development and delivery.
• Identification of HSE training and competency assessment requirements based on regulatory, corporate and site-specific requirements for each work site.
• Development, management and administration of Capital Power’s HSE Training program.
• Development, management and administration of Capital Power’s HSE Competency Assessment program(s).
• Learning Management System (LMS) administration and monitoring for HSE training requirements
• Evaluation of external courses to determine suitability and applicability to Capital Power’s requirements
• On-going evaluation of training program effectiveness for continuous improvement
• Development and presentation of recommendations for program improvements to senior management
• Coordination of external vendors to deliver required training
• Development and delivery of HSE training programs for Capital Power specific requirements including online training program development and delivery
• Analysis and reporting of HSE Training key performance indicators.
• Related post-secondary certificate/degree in Adult Education or equivalent
• Minimum 5 - 7 years of direct HSE training experience in an industrial workplace or construction environment.
• Comprehensive understanding legislative requirements for health, safety and environment training and competency requirements
• Understanding of safety regulations and legislation in the various geographical areas.
• Learning Management System (LMS) administration experience
• Project management and task prioritization skills
• Proficient in training needs analysis and program development
• Proficient writing and presentation skills.
• Proficient in course development and delivery
• Proficient in MS Office including Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Proficient in a rapid e-learning development tool such as Articulate Storyline or similar applications.
Social Process Skills
• Provide functional leadership, governance and assurance to the site leadership and operational staff.
• Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate with both internal and external stakeholders.
• Ability to establish trust & build relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
• Ability to effectively manage potential resistance & issues from employees and contractors related to HSE training and competency assessment.
• Able to work as part of a team as well as independently.
• Demonstrated ability to translate legislative language into basic terms.
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is a growth-oriented North American power producer headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta. The company develops, acquires, operates and optimizes power generation from a variety of energy sources.
Capital Power owns approximately 4,500 megawatts of power generation capacity at 24 facilities and is pursuing contracted generation capacity throughout North America.