Department: University Life Activities
Challenge Course Facilitator
The George Mason University, Mason Recreation, Center for Outdoor Experiential Learning (The EDGE)—located at the Freedom Center on the Science and Technology Campus—is seeking applicants for the position of Challenge Course Facilitator. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The EDGE is an incredible opportunity to work with others in an exciting and stimulating environment. Applicants will join an expert team of facilitators on The EDGE challenge course, challenging themselves and the groups they work with. We are open year-round, and our busiest season runs from March to late November. This position starts with training May 22-26 and 29-31, and extends into summer and fall, with opportunities to work on an on-call basis in the winter and return the following spring.
- Team Education: Effectively develop rapport and communicate with groups to inspire learning;
- Safety Instruction: Properly set up and explain challenges in a way that fosters cooperation, positive reflection and growth;
- Group and Risk Management: Provide for physical and emotional well-being of participants, be aware of risks associated with challenge courses, fit and check equipment to guarantee proper use, be ready to respond in an emergency situation, and be aware of and adjust to group or individual needs; and
- Course Setup, Maintenance, and Inspection: Inspect and set up high and low elements for daily use and occasionally assist with maintaining elements, equipment and trails.
- Ability to attend all training sessions;
- Ability to work a minimum of two days per week (Sunday-Saturday) between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.;
- Current First Aid and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer certifications or ability to be certified within 30 days of start date;
- Excellent communication skills are necessary; and
- Additional necessary skills include: proven group management skills, sound judgment, desire to work outdoors in all weather, interest in working with children and adults, a knack for connecting with youth and adults in a beneficial way, and the ability to have fun while representing Mason in a professional manner.
- Experience facilitating experiential education programs, including ropes or challenge courses, team-building, ground initiatives and games; and
- Adults pursuing a college degree, or graduates in education-related fields, including outdoor education, recreation, education, psychology, or social welfare.
Mason students are highly encouraged to apply. This position is subject to a criminal background investigation. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of this process.
For more information on The EDGE, please visit our website at www.edgeatmason.com/.
Salary: $10-$12 per hour, with potential for advancement.
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check, Financial Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number WGA821 at http://jobs.gmu.edu by May 5, 2017; complete the online application; and attach a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.